- Independent of distributions' package managers
- No need to deal with repositories, as each AppImage contains the information where the Updater has to look for updates
- Using the appcast format that is popular on the Mac
- Does not need to be root (for per-user apps), but can be run as root (for system-wide apps)
- Core functionality works
- Alternative appcast URLs specified in .desktop file still to be implemented
- Currently location of apps hardcoded to /Applications, which will change
Want to help on the development or simply try it out? Do the following:
- Create a directory /Applications
- Download the latest version of the Updater, put it in there
- Run it from a terminal - see how it checks the appcast; it should say "Your software is up to date"
- Rename the Updater, e.g., to "Updater 0.0.1", and run it again. This time, it suggests to download an update
Yes, I know there are many things to improve. So feel free to do just that, the Updater is written in Python and the full source code is contained in the AppImage.
Post here if you have produced an improved version.